Wallace Collection – The Golden Section – Audiophile CD
The Wallace Collection - The Golden Section – Audiophile CD
The Wallace Collection, a brass quintet founded by trumpeter John Wallace in 1986, has always embraced a wide range of twentieth century music. This CD contains a characteristic selection.
John Tavener’s Trisagion, written for Philip Jones’s ensemble, was pronounced unplayable by Jones, whose chops one imagined capable of executing anything. It was premiered in 1985 by Equale Brass, led by Wallace.
Though it contains some Stravinskian flourishes it is not an obviously difficult piece, balancing fanfare-like passages with solemn chorales.
Doggerel,one of a series begun in 1970 in reaction to the fashion for improvisation, is precise and punchy.
Jim Parker’s music for Betjeman’s 1970s albums perfectly complemented the poems though much of The Golden Section shows off the brass rather than evokes the spirit of the painters cited in the movement titles.
Michael Nyman’s piece is reworked (and somewhat improved) from material originating in Prospero’s Books. Matthias’s Dances are lively and bright-textured.
James MacMillan’s piece tops off the programme impressively, from its eerie, subliminal opening, through the dark fire of the central fanfares to the final isolated muted trumpet calls.
1. Trisagion – Composed By John Tavener 12:28
Doggerel Machine – Composed By John White
2. I: Serene But Ongoing 2:13
3. II: Sprightly But Steady 1:32
4. III: Serene But Ongoing 0:16
5. IV: Serene But Ongoing 2:04
6. V: Serene But Ongoing 0:15
7. VI: Strong But Steady 1:52
8. VII: Serene But Ongoing 0:11
9. VIII: Presto But Steady 0:35
10. IX: Quick March 0:53
The Golden Section – Composed By Jim Parker
11. I: The Bullifght (Francisco De Goya) 3:18
12. II: Valparaiso (James Abbott McNeill Whistler 2:52
13. III: La Parade Du Cirque (Georges Seurat) 2:03
14. IV: Déjeuner Sur L’Herbe (Edouard Manet) 2:31
15. V: Night Hawks (Edward Hopper) 3:26
16. VI: Broadway Boogie-Woogie (Piet Mondrian) 2:37
17. Masque Arias – Composed By Michael Nyman 7:41
Summer Dances – Composed By William Mathias
18. I: Maestoso: Allegro Alla Danza 2:22
19. II: Allegretto Preciso 1:52
20. III: Allegro Non Troppo 2:29
21. IV: Moderato 1:33
22. V: Lento Con Moto E Flessible 4:11
23. VI: Allegro Ritmico 2:11
24. Adam’s Rib – Composed By James MacMillan 10:27